Ms. Melius handles a broad range of complex litigation matters. Her recent areas of practice include entertainment, copyright, employment, contract and other commercial disputes. She also has experience in government tort claims matters. She has represented clients in federal and state courts, both inside and outside of the State of California.
- Successful defense of two local diamond wholesalers who were sued by a Swiss dealer and others claiming to have been dispossessed of millions’ worth of precious stones. See Emile Chayto S.A. v. Oved Anter, BC347759 (L.A. Super Ct., verdict Dec. 12, 2007); Ishaia Trading Corp. v. Oved Anter, BC341830 (L.A. Super. Ct., verdict Dec. 12, 2007). The case also bears the distinction of being named one of the “Top 10 Defense Verdicts” for 2007 by the Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- Represented Oakwood Worldwide in a lawsuit alleging smoking in the outdoor common areas of one of its apartment complexes constituted a public nuisance. The case, which Ms. Melius second-chaired, went to trial in 2011 and resulted in a complete victory for the client. Ms. Melius continues to represent Oakwood Worldwide in the case’s appeal, as well as in other matters.
- Represented Jaycee Dugard in the unprecedented $20M settlement based on claims brought against the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) for alleged failure to adequately supervise Dugard’s captor, Phillip Garrido, during the 10 years Garrido was under the CDCR’s parole supervision. Ms. Melius is currently representing Ms. Dugard in a federal action brought against the United States based on its parole supervision of Mr. Garrido.
Admissions, Memberships & Qualifications
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA) (Member)
Honors & Awards
- “Rising Star,” Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine (2008, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- “Top Defense Verdicts,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (2007)
- Stanford University, B.A. (Economics and Political Science), 1998
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2003.