Ms. Millett specializes in commercial and entertainment litigation. She has successfully represented studios, record companies, real estate developers, producers, artists and major corporations in disputes involving contracts, copyrights, trademarks, unfair competition, idea theft, partnership dissolution and other business torts. In the areas of motion pictures and television, she has advised and litigated cases on behalf of writers, directors, personal managers and motion picture studios, and her experience in the music business includes copyright infringement, right of publicity actions, contract disputes and audit claims.
- Represented an Academy Award winning composer, a nationally known real estate developer and a well known athlete in complex disputes arising out of the dissolution of long-term business relationships.
- Represented a well-known motion picture producer in enforcing her rights against a partner who sought to keep the benefits of the partnership for himself.
- Successfully defended prominent individual investors and their related entities against multi-million-dollar claims for aiding and abetting alleged breaches of fiduciary duties. After a three-month trial, the court ruled in favor of Ms. Millett’s clients on all claims. Ms. Millett also obtained a verdict in favor of her client on claims arising out of a failed real estate development project.
- Represented a regional television sports network in a dispute arising out of the violation of a non-compete agreement signed in connection with the sale of a business.
- Represented a motion picture producer against a studio who failed to properly exploit and distribute the producer’s film.
- Obtained an injunction on behalf of prominent Latin Music artists and their recording company stopping the distribution of a deceptively packaged album featuring old works by the artists.
Admissions, Memberships & Qualifications
- California and District of Columbia Bars (Member)
- Virginia Tech, B.S. (Management and Marketing, magna cum laude), 1987
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1990