Shawn Holley is a partner at Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldisert LLP, a boutique entertainment and business litigation firm in Santa Monica. She began her career as a Los Angeles County Public Defender, handling hundreds of serious criminal cases from inception to trial. She was the Managing Partner of the Los Angeles office of The Cochran Firm and the head of its national Criminal Defense Section.
With more than sixty trials to her credit, Ms. Holley is the rare trial attorney who practices in the areas of both civil and criminal litigation. She was a highly visible member of the O.J. Simpson defense team and worked closely with Mr. Cochran on a number of high-profile civil and criminal cases when the firm was known as The Law Offices of Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr.
Among others, Ms. Holley has represented or currently represents Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, Michelle Rodriquez, the Kardashian/Jenner family, Katt Williams, Shemar Moore, accused Symbionese Liberation Army bomber Sara Jane Olson, celebrated Black Panther leader Geronimo Pratt, Michael Jackson, Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, The Game, Axl Rose, Mike Tyson, “Sugar” Ray Leonard, Lamar Odom and Reggie Bush.
Ms. Holley was chief legal correspondent for the E! Network and was a featured legal analyst on its nightly coverage of the Michael Jackson trial which was broadcast internationally. Ms. Holley was the on-air legal analyst for KABC Eyewitness News in Los Angeles for several years and has appeared on the Today Show, Good Morning America, PrimeTime Live, Court TV, Fox News and CNN. She was a featured lawyer on Fox TV’s Power of Attorney for two seasons and the judge on MTV’s The Verdict.
For the past 20 years, Ms. Holley has taught trial advocacy at Cardozo Law School’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Program at Yeshiva University in New York City. She is a frequent speaker on high-profile litigation, women in the law and the representation of “celebrity” clients.
Ms. Holley was named a “Power Lawyer” in 2011 and 2012 by The Hollywood Reporter, one of the Daily Journal’s Top 100 Lawyers in 2014, one of the Daily Journal’s Top Women Lawyers in 2012, 2014 and 2017 and one of the Daily Journal’s 2015 Top Entertainment Lawyers. She was also named Southwestern Law School’s 2013 Outstanding Alumnus by the Black Law Students Association.
Ms. Holley is a Los Angeles native who attended the University of California, Los Angeles and Southwestern University School of Law. She is married to Dorian Holley, a prominent and well-known vocalist and vocal director. They have three daughters Nayanna, Sasha and Olivia. She is a lover of books, music and SoulCycle.
- Represented actress Lindsay Lohan in three very high profile criminal cases arising out of an alleged altercation with her vehicle, alleged theft of jewelry, and allegedly leaving the scene of a vehicle accident.
- Represented actress Nicole Richie effectuated in her second-time DUI case, in which Ms. Richie was accused of driving on the wrong side of the freeway. KWIKA effectuated a jail sentence of 82 minutes for Ms. Richie.
- Represented Lost star, Michelle Rodriguez, in her second-time DUI case.
- Represented Criminal Minds star, Shemar Moore, for whom DUI charges were dismissed upon the successful negotiation of a simple “speeding” charge.
- Represented rapper The Game in a felony case in which the rapper was charged with using a firearm on a school ground.
- Represented the minor son of a famous recording artist. The mother of the girlfriend who caught the couple in bed together accused the son of raping his girlfriend. KWIKA obtained dismissal of all charges.
- Represented actress Lindsay Lohan in an alleged hit and run in front of a popular nightclub. KWIKA successfully persuaded prosecutors in New York not to file charges against Ms. Lohan.
- Represented Symbionese Liberation Army “soccer mom” Sara Jane Olson, including the filing of a writ of habeas corpus on her behalf, arising out of the “miscalculation” of Ms. Olson’s prison time credits which sent her back to prison days after having been released.
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News & World Report, “The Best Lawyers in America,” (2013-2018)
- “Top 100 Lawyers in California,” Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal (2014)
- “Trinity Praeses Elit Award,” Dublin University Law Society (2013)
- “Outstanding Alumnus,” Southwestern Law School Black Law Students Association (2013)
- “Power Lawyer,” The Hollywood Reporter (2011, 2012)
- “Top Women Lawyers in 2012,” Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal (2012)
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.